High Lines.What are they really and why the thought of it?
- A high line is simply an elevated walkway and innovative urban park with multi-level green corridor that feature a jogging and cycling path, as well as outdoor dining areas.
- Its a form of effective recycling in which an obsolete railway is being re-purposed to a public park
- In New York,while the initial assessment was that the High Line would attract 400,000 visitors a year, the outcome has been that it is attracting 5 million visitors a year making it the second most visited cultural attraction in New York with an estimated $2.2 billion impact in new economic activity
- Records of increased tax revenue
- Less costly to redevelop abandoned railways as against tearing them down
- In New York City,the popularity of High Line has brought in an estimated $2 billion in new developments comprising residential units,hotel rooms,office and art gallery spaces
- Other cities are finding the model appealing and want to do the same with their abandoned elevated rail lines
I presume it must be relaxing to enjoy a secluded space above the noisy hustle and bustle of city life.
Source : CNN One Square Meter